Tuesday, October 7, 2014

getting back in the saddle

Two years ago I lost sight of my dreams. I was training with an Olypmic prequalifying trainer. She was amazing. I was training to go to school at SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) and begin in their bachelor's of equine program. They ride h/j and compete on many different levels. I am a large girl and I always have been. My mother and I took a road trip up to the college and I fell in love and was even offered my own horse for the program. I came back home and immediately began applying for ever scholarship and loan I could as the college was 30k+ a year. I got half way there with scholarships and couldn't get any student loans. It devastated me. I quit riding, started smoking (again) and just quit caring about myself. I had just suffered a break up with my high school sweetheart and (we'd been together since 2005.) and I just didn't see the point anymore. I took a full time job and quit going to school altogether. I never finished my bachelor's degree in business and just sort of gave up.

Since then I have gotten back with that high school sweetheart and we have even purchased our first home. We are getting married soon and things are going great. He has a new job making more money that we thought a single one of us could make (and he's the one with no college education!!). He has offered to help me pay for lessons again since we aren't ready to purchase a horse at this time. 

So I called the local barn of a trainer who has worked with Olypians such as Karen O'Connor and Leslie Law. She was very understanding of my situation (like I said I'm by no means small and I also have chronic back pain caused by my not riding horses if you can imagine that!). 

Needless to say I am very excited and I can't wait. I feel like life has finally decided to go in the right direction for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment